Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Trudy

The Jousting Tournament

How did a middle aged woman like me end up in a mass of people like this? That’s what crossed my mind as I stood smooshed in the throng. It all started innocently enough. The town was abuzz with the anticipation of the jousting tournament, and our group decided to attend. We learned that Arezzo is divided into four quarters, with colors and flags representing each area. Later, we saw a group from the blue and yellow quarter practicing their parade march. Shannon and Hilary saw some gorgeous guys in the group and pledged their allegiance to their team right then and there. They bought scarves with their colors and symbol. Michelle leaned towards supporting the green and white because she liked the way the scarf looked.

35816_1490444699446_1183840982_1446402_777131_n

The day of the tournament arrived. The grandstands were sold out so we purchased tickets for standing-room-only, 5 Euro each. The tourist information lady told me to be there by 8:00 p.m. or I would not be able to see. She also showed me on the map the best place to stand. Never once did she warn me of what the standing crowd was like, so I left with the other interns to stake out a spot. We were soon in a massive crowd that resembled a mob rather than a line. When the guard began letting small groups go through, I latched onto Michelle and she led me through the sea of bodies; worming our way to the front.

At last, we were next to the arena area and managed to get right up front with only the barricade between the tournament and me. The crowd continued to gather, cheering and chanting with enthusiasm. I became aware that I was probably the oldest person in the entire mass and wondered if I had mistakenly found myself at a high school sporting event. The group around us cheered for the green and white, so Michelle and I were glad we were not sporting the colors of another team.

The tournament procession in medieval attire filed past: a parade of royalty, flag throwers, drummers, and men with crossbows. I felt transported back in time, and shouted to Michelle over the din, “This is soooo worth it!” She nodded in agreement …or at least her head jostled up and down.

kjsdf

Then the jousting began which sent the crowd into heated frenzy. My feelings of being a sardine turned to feelings of being in a full body mammogram. I have never been so squished in all my life. As the crowd surged forward, a young drunken man began to climb over the top of me. Now I found myself squished from above as well as all sides. After about four jousts, I could no longer breathe, so Michelle helped me weave out of the crowd where we finally found freedom and fresh air.

Now I know why other people my age were not in the throng: they knew better than to stand in a crowd of enthusiastic young Italians cheering for their knight. I am glad I didn’t know about the conditions before I went, or I might not have gone; but I am very glad I went, and would never go again—unless I could get a seat in the stands. What an experience of a lifetime. Today I am sore all over, and happy to learn that the green and white quadrant won.

Go team!

P1070569

IMGP3771

No comments:

Post a Comment