Friday, June 18, 2010

Hilary

Thursday, 10 June 2010

This morning was one of my favorite filming experiences so far.  We went to a hair salon that is family owned and operated, Gianluca and Enelda.  From the very first sight of the salon I could tell that these were very different than “typical” Italians.  Gianluca and Enelda are obsessed with Western America.  The salon is covered in street signs, bottle caps, route 66 decor, and tons of other quirky American-type things.  I had a chance to look at one of their portfolios and they do the craziest styles.  One of them looked like a conehead.  I have no idea how they did it - it was incredible.  The best thing about the store was how the entire family hangs out there.  The mother and aunt were in there sweeping the floor and serving espresso.  The mother was the cutest lady I had ever seen.  She owned the salon for fifty years until she passed it on to Gianluca.  She seemed so full of joy and energy.  I had what Oprah would call an “Ah-ha” moment about Italian culture when I saw how much Gianluca appreciated his mother helping out.  If my mom was cleaning up behind my work I think it would drive me crazy!

P1070514

After our afternoon break we went into a town called Amelia, which was a little bit disappointing.  It seemed full of traffic but devoid of people.  However, we had the best pizza and conversation of the entire week there.  We were all cracking each other up and sampling and sharing each others pizzas.  It was definitely a good end to a good week.  It’s been exhausting but so worth it.  I’m learning a lot about other cultures as well as myself.  I’m sure there is more to come!

IMGP3667


Ciao,
Hilary Hancock

No comments:

Post a Comment